Friday, July 17, 2009

It's about time!

I am officially the world’s worst blogger. Josh and I have been married for almost 7 months and we are expecting out first little one November 19th. It’s a boy and we are going to name him Lincoln Alexander Smith. So far we have had a very mixed reaction from people about his name but it does have some great meaning to us. We went to DC last year for the 4th of July. As we went to museum after museum, monument after monument feeling completely overwhelmed by the history of our country, we stopped at the Lincoln Memorial. Of course it was packed beyond all belief and boy was it HOT. We found a little side elevator that takes you down under the Memorial. We were curious and it had AC. As we entered to what looked like an autobiography come to life in one little room, the spirit was so strong. I couldn’t figure out why or what I was feeling at first, I’m a sucker for stuff like that and could just stand there for hours soaking it all in. Josh and I both agreed that there was something about the name Lincoln and how cool it would be to name our son that. Almost a year to the day we had this experience, another amazing spiritual experience came about. Now that we were married and we were having a son we thought of the name again. I had kept having dreams about him in the military (not my first choice, trust me) then as a Politian and doing amazing things with the church. People have asked me how he makes me feel…you mean besides nauseous, tired, & moody?? I started paying more attention to his movements and how having him inside makes me feel. Words like brave, feisty, love, unstoppable, passionate, protective were coming to mind. Now those of you who know me well know that I am feisty and sometimes act as if I'm unstoppable but all of these things were heightened.
This past July 4th the name Lincoln kept coming to Josh and I. As we are sitting in church that Sunday after celebrating a low key but very pleasant holiday, we were singing the National Anthem and chill bumps covered my body. The 4th of July is probably my most favorite holiday so this chill bumps things happens every time this song is sung or heard. We sat down to say the closing prayer and all I could see was this little baby boy! I opened my eyes to find them filled with huge tears. I began to cry so hard I thought I was going to faint. Poor Josh looking scared out his mind from not knowing what was going on asked what in the world was wrong. All I could muster out was “His name is Lincoln”. He of course smiled, held my tummy and said “ok can I call him Link?” Bless his heart.
Now on to his middle name. After feeling like he was a true American boy we talked about the name Alexander, which we had picked out with Brock but people kept saying Barack so that was out. I had it after Alexander Graham Bell but we later found out it was Josh’s great grandfather’s middle name too. Lincoln means Colony and Alexander means defender of the people so in a way we feel like he is going to be a great defender of this nation. I’m sorry to ramble on but it’s one of those things you can’t leave out the details. I am now 5 ½ months along (I will post pictures soon) and he is starting to kick like crazy. Josh felt him for the first time last night! We are excited about our little man and can’t wait to start on his room.

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

we're so happy for you guys! can't wait to meet him. :)

Nicole said...

That's very cool. I like names with a history :)

Ader Family said...

Congratulations. I think it's great - and his name is wonderful!! the fact that it has meaning is that much better.
~Steph

Laura and Matt said...

Wow what an awesome post!! I love the name Lincoln. Congrats!!